lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's drop Maven Artifacts !
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:22:40 GMT
To follow up Steven:

Yes - Maven is part of Lucene now - it got in with lazy consensus or whatever method - and
now it's basically a first class citizen. I would have to get consensus to drop it much more
than you would have to get consensus to keep it. This is exactly why I don't want it to stick
around or grow when it could be a downstream project. All of this continued Maven work just
looks more stuff we will have maintain/support in the future it seems to me.

Honestly though - if it looks like the majority are for Maven - I drop my objection.

- Mark

On Jan 18, 2011, at 2:45 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2011, at 2:37 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:
>
>> On 1/18/2011 at 1:45 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
>>> At some point, Grant or someone put in some Maven poms. I don't think
>>> anyone else really paid attention. Later, as we did releases, and saw and
>>> dealt with these poms, most of us commented against Maven support. It just
>>> feels to me like it slipped in - and really its the type of thing that
>>> should have been more discussed and thought out, and perhaps voted upon.
>>> Maven snuck into Lucene IMO.
>>
>> Lucene's policy is commit-then-review, and lazy consensus is the rule, right?
>
> Right - clearly this is not some sneaky or underhanded thing that happened. Certainly
this is how a lot of legit things happen.

> The only reason I feel it was more of a Maven sneaking in thing is that in IRC I have
learned how many active core devs really didn't want Maven in the build at a later time. I
think we just didn't really know what was happening / paid attention. I don't mean to characterize
incorrectly. If you asked me back then, I prob would not have understood the consequences
whatsoever and said, please go ahead! Patches welcome.

> People's opinions have shifted though - we have more committers now - perhaps the Maven
support side is larger than the against now.