lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's drop Maven Artifacts !
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:57:08 GMT

On Jan 18, 2011, at 2:41 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

> So can you explain what the problem with the maven support is?  Isn't it enough to just
call the ant target and copying the generated files somewhere?  When I did releases I never
thought it made the release any harder.  Just two additional easy steps.

Robert and I have gone over this a fair amount in previous exchanges I think, if you really
want to know particulars. Suffice it to say, the problems so far have not been large, it feels
like the likelihood of future larger problems is growing, if you ask people that seem to like/care
about Maven support, the problems are probably not really a problem or easily addressable,
if you ask people that dislike/don't want Maven, the problems are probably just not worth
ever having to run into when we are still convinced this could be handled downstream.

If I remember right, a large reason Robert is against is that he doesn't want to sign/support/endorse
something he doesn't understand or care about as a Release Manager? But thats probably a major
simplification of his previous arguments. And the pro Maven team has offered their counters
to that.

- Mark