lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: Let's drop Maven Artifacts !
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:28:50 GMT
On 1/18/2011 at 12:14 PM, Robert Muir wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Steven A Rowe <sarowe@syr.edu> wrote:
> >
> > There clearly is no consensus for removing Maven support from Lucene.
>
> and see there is my problem, there was no consensus to begin with, now
> suddenly its "de-facto" required. Maven is quite an insidious computer
> virus.

So you think you personally have the power to remove functionality from Lucene that has the
support of multiple committers?

> >> Unfortunately there is a very loud minority that care about maven
> >
> > I would wager that there is a sizable silent *majority* of users who
> literally depend on Lucene's Maven artifacts.
>
> I can't help but remind myself, this is the same argument Oracle
> offered up for the whole reason hudson debacle
> (http://hudson-labs.org/content/whos-driving-thing)
>
> Declaring that I have a secret pocket of users that want XYZ isn't
> open source consensus.

In summary: you claim a silent majority (of devs) in favor of your position, and I claim a
silent majority (of users) in favor of mine.  Your move: my majority, of which I have no proof,
has no standing.  Sweet.

I dunno - why are we at war?  Why is it so damn important that you *remove* functionality
that devs care about and will support?

Steve