lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's drop Maven Artifacts !
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:41:33 GMT
On 1/18/11 10:44 AM, Mark Miller wrote:
>  From my point of view, but perhaps I misremember:
>
> At some point, Grant or someone put in some Maven poms.
I did. :) It was a ton of work and especially getting the
maven-ant-tasks to work was a nightmare!

> I don't think anyone else really paid attention.

All those patches were attached to a jira issue, and the issue was open
for a while, with people asking for published maven artifacts.

> Later, as we did releases, and saw and dealt with these poms, most of us commented against
Maven support.

So can you explain what the problem with the maven support is?  Isn't it
enough to just call the ant target and copying the generated files
somewhere?  When I did releases I never thought it made the release any
harder.  Just two additional easy steps.

> It just feels to me like it slipped in - and really its the type of thing that should
have been more discussed and thought out, and perhaps voted upon. Maven snuck into Lucene
IMO. To my knowledge, the majority of core developers do not want maven in the build and/or
frown on dealing with Maven. We could always have a little vote to gauge numbers - I just
have not wanted to rush to another vote thread myself ;) Users are important too - but they
don't get official votes - it's up to each of us to consider the User feelings/vote in our
opinions/votes as we see fit IMO.