lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's drop Maven Artifacts !
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:11:13 GMT
On 1/18/11 11:57 AM, Mark Miller wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2011, at 2:41 PM, Michael Busch wrote:
>
>> So can you explain what the problem with the maven support is?  Isn't it enough to
just call the ant target and copying the generated files somewhere?  When I did releases I
never thought it made the release any harder.  Just two additional easy steps.

> Robert and I have gone over this a fair amount in previous exchanges I think, if you
really want to know particulars. Suffice it to say, the problems so far have not been large,
it feels like the likelihood of future larger problems is growing, if you ask people that
seem to like/care about Maven support, the problems are probably not really a problem or easily
addressable, if you ask people that dislike/don't want Maven, the problems are probably just
not worth ever having to run into when we are still convinced this could be handled downstream.

This seems weird to me.  If there haven't been large problems so far,
why do we need to change anything now?  Not sure why the "likelihood is
growing".
> If I remember right, a large reason Robert is against is that he doesn't want to sign/support/endorse
something he doesn't understand or care about as a Release Manager? But thats probably a major
simplification of his previous arguments. And the pro Maven team has offered their counters
to that.

I'm not sure what's so complicated or mysterious about maven artifacts.
A maven artifact consists of normal jar file(s) plus a POM file
containing some metadata, like the artifact name and group.