lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's drop Maven Artifacts !
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:03:48 GMT
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I remember right, a large reason Robert is against is that he doesn't want to sign/support/endorse
something he doesn't understand or care about as a Release Manager? But thats probably a major
simplification of his previous arguments. And the pro Maven team has offered their counters
to that.

Well, i definitely don't want to produce a jacked-up release. And I
listed in the last 99-email maven thread, a reference to how many of
the previous releases have had various bugs/problems with maven. The
problem is, as it is in our code now, there is no way to verify these
magical files will actually work. and yet we all just ignore the fact
we are probably shipping broken artifacts and go with the release
anyway?

(separately, for reference i know that Uwe has the releasing down to
an art and is probably the sole person here that could actually do a
release without having maven jacked up, so he isn't included)

But for the rest of us, we don't understand maven. why can't it be
handled downstream?
And it sets a tone for future things, for instance *the most popular
issue* in lucene, its not flexible indexing, its not realtime search,
its not column stride fields, its... make Lucene an OSGI bundle?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:popularissues-panel

Anyway i think we are making a search engine library, and if someone
else can deal with these hassles, they should. we should focus on
search engine stuff and getting out solid releases.