lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's drop Maven Artifacts !
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 22:06:09 GMT
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2011, at 4:41 PM, Robert Muir wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> It's just software and we have people willing to maintain the Maven stuff.  I
simply don't get what the big deal is in keeping something that people find useful and has
(enough) committer support.

>> Why not call a committer vote then?
>>
>> [] <-- maintain maven ourselves instead of working on search features,
>> and slower releases.
>
> Wow, so having Maven releases is why we take 6-10 months to release?  Give me a break.
 The only thing that is slower (arguably) is the building of the release itself.   We have
had Maven support for a long time and it has never been brought up until you did that it was
the cause.  The cause is, was and always will be that we innovate at a pretty rapid pace
and always have the mindset to get "just one more" set of features/fixes into the next release.

In my opinion it is just a part of it, i think i detailed this here:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/474564645f673fbb/discussion_about_release_frequency

(This discussion was subsequently sidetracked and dominated completely
by maven, so I gave up, until Shai brought up the idea again recently
of trying to do a release)

I think that the release process is too complicated, and doing things
to simplify it, such as pushing maven downstream would help a lot.

Furthermore I had this to say about maven once it completely took over
the discussion:

since i have been around, it seems the "maven" is wrong in nearly every
release[1] including even bugfix releases.
if i am going to be the one making artifacts, i want them to be right.

[1]:
Lucene/Solr 3.x, 4.0: SOLR-2041, SOLR-2055
Solr 1.4.1: SOLR-1977
Solr 1.4: SOLR-981
Lucene 2.9.1, 3.0: LUCENE-2107
Lucene 2.9.0:  LUCENE-1927