lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's drop Maven Artifacts !
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 18:44:32 GMT

On Jan 18, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:

> On 1/18/2011 at 12:14 PM, Robert Muir wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Steven A Rowe <sarowe@syr.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> There clearly is no consensus for removing Maven support from Lucene.
>>
>> and see there is my problem, there was no consensus to begin with, now
>> suddenly its "de-facto" required. Maven is quite an insidious computer
>> virus.
>
> So you think you personally have the power to remove functionality from Lucene that has
the support of multiple committers?

If he thought that, he would have removed maven from svn by now!

From my point of view, but perhaps I misremember:

At some point, Grant or someone put in some Maven poms. I don't think anyone else really paid
attention. Later, as we did releases, and saw and dealt with these poms, most of us commented
against Maven support. It just feels to me like it slipped in - and really its the type of
thing that should have been more discussed and thought out, and perhaps voted upon. Maven
snuck into Lucene IMO. To my knowledge, the majority of core developers do not want maven
in the build and/or frown on dealing with Maven. We could always have a little vote to gauge
numbers - I just have not wanted to rush to another vote thread myself ;) Users are important
too - but they don't get official votes - it's up to each of us to consider the User feelings/vote
in our opinions/votes as we see fit IMO.

- Mark