lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Lucene 3.1.0 RC3
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2011 20:38:32 GMT
My comments, mostly minor:

apache-solr-3.1.0.zip:
* README.TXT - Mixes Unix- and Windows-style syntaxes without further comments
  Propose to change e.g. %JAVA_HOME%\bin -> $JAVA_HOME/bin to be consistent and add a comment
about Windows
* CHANGES.TXT - The headline "Upgrading from Solr 1.4" should be "Upgrading from Solr 1.4.1"?
* docs/who.html is old - refers to the old Solr committers list at http://lucene.apache.org/solr/who
* docs/features.html - Does not list CSV among response writers
* CHANGES.TXT - No mention of SOLR-1889 (dismax respecting q.op) - I thought this was backported
in 3.1?

apache-solr-3.1.0-src.tgz:
* After building, http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/registry.jsp shows "Solr Implementation
Version: 3.1-SNAPSHOT"
  Is that correct, or should it be 3.1.0-SNAPSHOT or something else?

Last comment: I know we've intentionally bundled slf4j-jdk14-1.5.5.jar in the war to help
newbies get up and running. But I find myself re-packaging the war for every customer when
adapting to their choice of logger framework, which is counter-productive. Would it not be
sufficient to have the jdk-logging binding in example/lib to let the example and tutorial
still work OOTB but as soon as you deploy solr.war to production you're forced to explicitly
decide what logging to use.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

On 27. mars 2011, at 04.07, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> Artifacts are at http://people.apache.org/~gsingers/staging_area/rc3/.  Please vote as
you see appropriate.  Vote closes on March 29th.

> I've also updated the Release To Do for both Lucene and Solr and it is hopefully a lot
easier now to produce the artifacts as more of it is automated (including uploading to staging
area).