lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject SOLR-1293 (lots of cores)
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:06:57 GMT
I'm going to be doing some work on this issue. The background here is
that there is a use-case for having 10-15K cores on a single server
that follow the pattern
open-search-close
where the application is tolerant of the inherent problems with speed
for the first-time queries after a core is opened. Quite a lot of
prior art has been applied, fortunately. Note there can be some
caching in here of open cores so it's not quite as simple as
open-serch-close for _every_ request.

My first baby step will be SOLR-880, allowing lazy loading of cores
defined in solr.xml. So.

First assumption: This is orthogonal to SolrCloud, so all the code
that gets configs etc from ZK should not be modified in any way. I'm
having a really hard time thinking of how this scenario could ever
play nice with SolrCloud, so I'll assume it never will.

Question: There's been some confusion about core admin commands lately
on the users list since "load" is not implemented. I propose to remove
it from the page completely, it really looks like "create" does the
trick. I'd prefer to have some more symmetry here and rename "create"
to "load" so we have load/unload, but that would break too much out
there in the field to no real purpose. I'll add a note to "CREATE"
that it can be used with existing cores.....

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Erick