lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Making DiskDVFormat not experimental
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2013 16:19:06 GMT
Maybe, for the experimental formats with no back compat, we could at
least rename them when there is a breaking change?

This way, assuming there were no changes to the codec APIs, an app
could upgrade to Lucene 4.4 while continuing to use e.g.
Disk42DocValuesFormat, without having CLASSPATH horrors.

Ie they could decouple the decision of upgrading the index from
upgrading the JARs.

When they are ready to upgrade, they could then switch to Disk44DocValuesFormat.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com