lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Anyone interested about using GPU to improve the performance of Lucene?
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:50:54 GMT
I think it would be great fun to explore GPU optimizations for Lucene
indexing and searching ... as Uwe said, Lucene is "pure Java", but
I've been playing with specializing specific searches in C, here:

    https://github.com/mikemccand/lucene-c-boost

The speedups are surprisingly large (most likely due to the
specialization of the code, and less so due to Java vs C), but from
the C code it should be much easier to work with the CUDA APIs to
accelerate e.g. decoding of postings or scoring of hits.  But I don't
have much time to look into this ...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com