lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Docs Needed: Getting Ref Guide in Shape for 4.4
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2013 19:15:16 GMT

As we ramp up for the Lucene/Solr 4.4 release, I wanted to remind folks
that starting with this release, we have a Solr Ref Guide that (per
concenssus in SOLR-4618) we will ultimately vote to "officially" release
this documentation in PDF form. [1]

    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr

The only way this Ref Guide is going to be of any use however is if it's
up to date and reflects the realities of Solr 4.4.

It took a while to get the existing content donated by lucidworks loaded
into the ASF's Confluence instance (it was initially donated during the
4.1 release), but fortunately Cassandra was awesome and did a lot of work
trying to update the guide with major changes since then so that it
already largely covers all of the key stuff up to 4.3 -- But no major
edits have been made covering new features/improvements in 4.4.

This is where all of us need to step up.

Please review CHANGES.txt for things to document.  In particular think
about all of the code you've touched in Solr since 4.3 -- then go review
the corrisponding pages (if there is one) in the guide and see if there
are any changes to be made.

In particular, these major changes since 4.3 almost certainly need new
pages, or new sections on existing pages...

  * New Dynamic Schema & Schemaless related stuff
  * New Schema REST APIs
  * Admin UI Screen for adding documents from the browser
  * SolrCloud using HDFS
  * SolrCloud shard splitting & deleting

There is also a section in the doc on "Upgrading" that needs a new page
added covering 4.4...

   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Major+Changes+from+Solr+3+to+Solr+4
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Upgrading+to+Solr+4.3

In addition, If you have some time to spare: If there is some feature set
of Solr that you feel really knowledgable about that hasn't changed much
since 4.3, please review the docs on those features and see if anything is
missing or incorrect.

In particular, please note these guidelines, especially the part at the
end about evolving away from using MoinMoin for "official"
documentation...

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Internal+-+Maintaining+Documentation

If you are a committer and do not yet have edit permisions for this
confluence space, please see SOLR-4888 for info on getting access to edit
pages directly (i'll doc this process more permenantly soon).  For all
other interested participants who would like to provide
feedback/suggestions for the documentation: please post comments directly
on the pages in question, or reply here (or post a new jira) with
suggested content for entirely new pages.

---

[1] The specifics of how we'll generate/vote/publish/link-to the
"official" PDF releases of this documentation still need fleshed out and
documented -- I'm planning to take the lead on this for 4.4, winging it to
see what works out, and documenting it for iteration/improvement in future
releases.  If you have comments/opinions please share them in SOLR-5030)

-Hoss