lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: VOTE: RC1 Release apache-solr-ref-guide-4.4.pdf
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 17:15:26 GMT

: Crap, I just noticed Hoss's
: <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Upgrading+Solr>, which
: is a shorter version of the 4.4 upgrade notes page I just created.
: It feels weird to have upgrade notes for different versions in multiple
: places - maybe the previous release upgrade pages could stay where they
: are, but add references to them from the current release upgrade notes?
: Actually, it also seems weird that the previous 4.X upgrade notes are
: under the "Major Changes from Solr 3 to Solr 4" page in the left-hand
: navigation pane.

Once upon a time, "Major Changes from Solr 3 to Solr 4" was a top level
section very early in the doc, and it had child pages for "UPgrading to
4.x" for each of the 4.x versions released so far -- this was primarily
because Lucid only hosted a single version of the guide for all of 4.x.

I had a discussion with cassandra on IRC about eliminating that page and
it's children and having a single "Upgrading" page replace them (at the
begining of the doc).  But then we decided that since this is the first
official copy of the guide to be released by apache, we should keep the
"Major Changes from Solr 3 to Solr 4" page arround for at least one
release as sort of as an appendix.

The fact that the other "Upgrading to solr 4.x" pages were left as
children was purely a mistake on my part -- i ment to delete those.

Your new "Upgrading to Solr 4.4 page is better then the one we alreayd
have, but i think we should rename it to simply "Upgrading Solr" so that
it has a consistent name/url moving forward.

I'll do the following:
 * delete all of the old upgrading pages
 * move your new upgrading page to the front of the doc & rename it
   to the general "Ugrading Solr"
 * add the one sentence i think is missing to your upgrading page
   ("If you are upgrading from Solr 3.x, you should familiarize
    yourself with the Major Changes from Solr 3 to Solr 4.")
 * cut a new RC2

cool?

-Hoss