lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: The Old Git Discussion
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 13:18:54 GMT
Hi,

I fully agree with Robert: I don't want to move to GIT. In addition, unless there is some
tool that works as good as Windows' TortoiseSVN also for GIT, so I can merge in milliseconds(TM),
I won't commit anything.

I just note: I was working as committer for the PHP project (maintaining the SAPI module for
Oracle iPlanet Webserver), but since they moved to GIT 2 years ago, I never contributed anything
anymore. I just don't understand how it works and its completely unusable to me. E.g. look
at this bullshit: https://wiki.php.net/vcs/gitworkflow - Sorry this is a no-go. And I have
no idea what all these cryptic commands mean and I don't want to learn that. If we move to
GIT, somebody else have to commit my patches.

And the other comment that was given here is not true: Merging with SVN works perfectly fine
and is easy to do, unless you use the command line or Eclipse's bullshit SVN client (that
never works correctly). With a good GUI (like the fantastic TortoiseSVN), merging is so simple
and conflicts can be processed in milliseconds(TM). And it is much easier to understand.

Also Subversion is an Apache Project and I want to add: We should eat our own dog food. Just
to move to something with a crazy license and a broken user interface, just because it's cool,
is a no-go to me. We would also need to rewrite all our checking tasks (like the check-svn-working-copy
ANT task) to work with GIT. Is there a pure Java library that works for GIT? I assume: No.
So this is another no-go for me. The checks we do cannot be done by command line.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen