lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Old Git Discussion
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2014 06:15:17 GMT

> Also: if you fork https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr today, you can
> have this workflow, I think.

This is how I worked on several Lucene issues in parallel, so it works ..
sort of. The problem is that while your github changes are public, none of
this appears in the Apache SVN after I committed the changes to Lucene
source. In fact, in order to commit I had to generate a patch from github,
apply to the SVN checkout and commit. SVN history had no records of
whatever interim commits I made on github.

I understand Michael's scenario and agree with Robert - if Apache allowed
write to a special directory under SVN, say
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/[jira/sandbox] or something we
could have contributors creating their own sub-directories and committing
their changes. Then a committer would only need to "svn merge" that branch
with trunk.

In addition, I don't think Pull Requests contain any magic. They get stale
over time, nothing magically updates them to the latest trunk. The only
advantage a PR has over patch, from my experience, is that a PR means you
have things committed already, so you can use "git merge" to bring your
changes up to latest trunk. While with SVN, you can only use "svn up",
which doesn't do a good job at merging (as "svn merge" does).

I actually don't think GIT makes this usecase any easier to handle then say
if e.g. Michael had his own SVN repository somewhere (public) where he
committed his stuff and opened a JIRA issue (aka a Pull Request) and a
committer would issue an "svn merge" from his repo to Apache's. At least
from the little reading I've done on SVN, it's totally possible.

So I wonder if GIT really makes life easier, or is it maybe the github
infra that makes people think that if they used GIT(-hub), it would make
their life easier, since there's no equivalent free Subversion hosting site
(at least, I couldn't find one quickly on Google)?

Shai

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 5:32 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <otis.gospodnetic@gmail.com