lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Old Git Discussion
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 19:03:51 GMT
Personally, I loathe Git. Maybe it's just that I'm old school or have grown
used to SVN, but every time I use Git, I get lost. Branch, merge, push,
pull, clone, and pray don't screw up because you'll be in a rat-hole that
has no end. "But just issue commands  X, Y, Z. Followed by A, B, C. Oh, and
by the way, if you issue C before B you're totally screwed".

Sorry, but I've never seen a good argument for Git that doesn't include
"but it supports a distributed development setup". Why is that superior to
what we already to with SVN? Our branching etc. seems to work fine.

If someone could outline, in concrete terms, the workflow that would make
Git help make my life easier, or outline why staying with SVN is going to
slow people down or turn people off, it would be a great help. Otherwise,
-1 from me.

FWIW,
Erick