lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Old Git Discussion
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2014 21:17:39 GMT
On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Jan H√łydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:

> Sure, it's just another channel for contributions. We can still work with patch files
in JIRA. There may be a few git steps (remote add, fetch, checkout) to pull down the remote
code which takes some time getting used to, but all this is made up for due to Git's super-fast
branching. No need to have a bunch of duplicate svn checkouts lying around or wait for svn
to checkout or merge...

How is it faster? It takes me 25 seconds to pull down a fresh svn
checkout. it takes like 30 minutes to run the tests before actually
committing.

So, i dont think we should use git for so called "speed" that doesnt
matter (please, instead of arguing for git, spend time fixing the solr
distributed tests to not take ages and ages), or for distributed
features that dont matter (apache has a centralized repository).

Given that its distinct from the contributor experience and would only
impact committers, i currently see *zero* advantages for switching to
git, only a hell of a lot of disadvantages.