lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Old Git Discussion
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2014 16:32:14 GMT
On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Michael Della Bitta
<michael.della.bitta@appinions.com> wrote:
>> But keep in mind you are talking about github-type features. Moving to git
>> won't give us your compelling workflow here
>
> I don't see much reason to go through the trouble of migrating to git and
> not use Github/Bitbucket/Gerrit or something like that. At work, I'm getting
> us over to Bitbucket chiefly because they offer unlimited private
> repositories for companies, but obviously that doesn't apply here.

There are lots of reasons: we are an apache project so we just can't
do that. the canonical repository has to be @ apache (whether its svn
or git, who cares).

Either way, you as a contributor can submit pull requests and i can
merge them in. So it doesnt matter to you, which thing i'm using as a
committer.

I strongly urge everyone here to stop wasting time discussing about
the version control 20 or 40 of us committers use, and instead of
focus our time on processes and stuff so that *contributors* can
effectively use github/pullrequests.

This means ensuring discussions happen in the right place (i already
am unhappy my comments on Michael's request did not come to the
mailing list, so we have some things to think about), and changes.txt,
and all that.