lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Della Bitta <michael.della.bi...@appinions.com>
Subject Re: The Old Git Discussion
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 19:42:36 GMT
On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com>wrote:

> If someone could outline, in concrete terms, the workflow that would make
> Git help make my life easier, or outline why staying with SVN is going to
> slow people down or turn people off, it would be a great help

I guess speaking as someone who wouldn't mind contributing here or there,
the current situation is pretty awkward. I'd have to post a patch to JIRA
and hope it got some attention and rolled in in time before trunk moved
along and the patch didn't work right anymore. And if that happens, there's
really no system for tracking what had happened; I'd have to start over
with a new patch.

That's a *lot* less compelling to me than the ability of creating my own
branch in a public arena, possibly collaborating with another person on a
change, and then issuing a pull request. Plus, there's a public record of
the work, and it's easy for another user to take up my changes without
having to find the patch in JIRA and run it themselves.

I'm not saying that Solr or Lucene's source control infrastructure has to
cater necessarily to someone like me or doom will happen, but I did want to
put forth this point of view.

Michael Della Bitta

Applications Developer

o: +1 646 532 3062  | c: +1 917 477 7906

appinions inc.

“The Science of Influence Marketing”

18 East 41st Street

New York, NY 10017