lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: Am I allowed to generate, enhance and republish a JavaDoc of an Apache project?
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:32:18 GMT
On 3/6/2014 8:42 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:
> I asked this on Apache legal list but got no reply. So, I thought I'll
> try again for the group it will affect directly (project not mentioned
> below is Solr).
>
> Any opinion on legality, usefulness or possibly underlying causes of
> the original problem would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>    Alex.

I'm not going to try to comment about the legal issues, but I will tell
you that I can very often find javadocs for a very specific class by
searching for it along with a specific recent version number.  So I will
google for 'HttpSolrServer 4.7.0' and I have what I need.  Finding
related things is normally pretty easy, because there are clickable
links for related classes buried in any given javadoc page.

When searching for recent docs for SolrQuery, if I leave out the version
number, I only get 4.2.1 and 3.6.0 near the top of the results.  If I
add a version number, the top results are actually kinda useless.  A
search for 'SolrQuery 4.6.1 API' did the trick.  It's simply too common
a phrase, especially when broken apart into Solr and Query.

There are very likely things that we can do to improve our search engine
results.  I'm not well versed in SEO myself.

Thanks,
Shawn