lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Uwe Schindler (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Updated] (LUCENE-5537) Fix version check in TestCheckIndexes
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2014 13:41:46 GMT

     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-5537?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel
]

Uwe Schindler updated LUCENE-5537:
----------------------------------

    Attachment: LUCENE-5537.patch

I improved the test a bit, I think now it is ready to commit:
- removed obsolete test
- relaxed the startsWith part of the verson property to only search for common prefix, not
explicit startsWith. We have to do this, because our test cases are running against a non-jar
classpath, so we have no manifest file with version numbers.

Unfortunately: Because we don't run test with a real JAR file, we have no manifest, so we
would not detect all problems. To ensure also the version constants from a real lucene-core.jar
file are OK, we would need to test against one.

I will commit and backport this in a minute (to fix 4.7 builds).

> Fix version check in TestCheckIndexes
> -------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: LUCENE-5537
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-5537
>             Project: Lucene - Core
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: core/other
>    Affects Versions: 4.7
>            Reporter: Uwe Schindler
>            Assignee: Uwe Schindler
>            Priority: Blocker
>             Fix For: 4.8, 5.0, 4.7.1
>
>         Attachments: LUCENE-5537.patch, LUCENE-5537.patch, LUCENE-5537.patch
>
>
> The crazy version check in TestCheckIndexes is broken. Whenever it fails, it requires
a horrible amount of understanding:
> - error messages are useless
> - you don't know what it really checks and why (no documentation)
> In addition, we have no clear workflow how to handle version updates:
> - In 4.6 series we never set the dev.version in common-build to 4.6.1, it always stayed
4.6. The test worked therefore, because the LUCENE_MAIN_VERSION (which is always "x.y") was
identical
> - In 4.7 [~steve_rowe] changed the version to the real release version in the branch.
The test failed because of this change (LUCENE_MAIN_VERSION was not identical as the dotted
bugfix version)
> We should in any case fix the test:
> - move it out of TestCheckIndex, it should be in oal.util.TestConstants
> - Be more verbose on loggin
> - Remove special cases (leftovers from 4.0-BETA) where we did crazy stuff to make this
test pass in alphas and betas.
> - Only add a check to LUCENE_MAIN_VERSION that it is in format "x.y" (which is required
by Lucene index format), and only check that it is the prefix of the real version as reported
by common_build.xml.
> We should also document and write down when we change the version numbers. I would prefer
to use the variant of Lucene 4.6: never change the version number in common-build and "override"
it while building artifacts.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.2#6252)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message