lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Lucene/Solr 4.8.0 RC1
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:08:19 GMT
+1

SUCCESS! [0:44:41.170815]

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I prepared the first release candidate of Lucene and Solr 4.8.0. The artifacts can be
found here:

> => http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging_area/lucene-solr-4.8.0-RC1-rev1589150/
>
> It took a bit longer, because we had to fix some remaining bugs regarding NativeFSLockFactory,
which did not work correctly and leaked file handles. I also updated the instructions about
the preferred Java update versions. See also Mike's blog post: http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/java-1-7u55-safe-use-elasticsearch-lucene/

> Please check the artifacts and give your vote in the next 72 hrs.
>
> My +1 will hopefully come a little bit later because Solr tests are failing constantly
on my release build and smoke tester machine. The reason: it seems to be lack of file handles.
A standard Ubuntu configuration has 1024 file handles and I want a release to pass with that
common "default" configuration. Instead, org.apache.solr.cloud.TestMiniSolrCloudCluster.testBasics
fails always with crazy error messages (not about too less file handles, more that Jetty cannot
start up or not bind ports or various other stuff). This did not happen on smoking 4.7.x releases.

> I will run now the smoker again without HDFS (via build.properties) and if that also
fails then once again with more file handles. But we really have to fix our tests that they
succeed with the default config of 1024 file handles. We can configure that in Jenkins (so
the Jenkins job first sets and then runs ANT "ulimit -n 1024"). But this should not block
the release, I just say: "I gave up running those Solr tests, sorry! Anybody else can test
that stuff!"

> Uwe
>
> P.S.: Here's my smoker command line:
> $  JAVA_HOME=$HOME/jdk1.7.0_55 JAVA7_HOME=$HOME/jdk1.7.0_55 python3.2 -u smokeTestRelease.py
' http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging_area/lucene-solr-4.8.0-RC1-rev1589150/' 1589150
4.8.0 tmp