lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Matheis <matheis.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr Admin UI and SolrCloud
Date Wed, 14 May 2014 22:18:02 GMT
Erick

it indeed does need a bit work. your mail reminded me of your last mail and the collections
api :~

especially regarding the whole cloud thing i’m having a hard time, since i’m not really
using cloud - not even playing around with it. so i have a vague idea on how it might work
for people .. but that isn’t probably enough to start working on it.

if we could have a short chat about it .. i guess that would help :) otherwise i’ll try
to read about the current features, namings & relations to get it sorted it.

just for the record, i’ve talked with mark at LSR in Dublin last year a bit about some helpful
cloud-stuff, which he wrote down in SOLR-5599 - a bit basic perhaps, but might help as well.

-Stefan

On Monday, May 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Erick Erickson wrote:

> The admin UI (and kudos to _everyone_ who made the new version) could
> use more "cloud awareness". There are cluster-wide operations and
> individual node operations, they're intermixed at this point. Plus, we
> make people switch between a UI and the command-line to accomplish
> what they need to.
>
> How can we restructure them? And should we?
>
> Straw-man proposal follows. NOTE: I have no real attachment to this
> layout, just looking to generate a discussion!
>
> > split the cluster-wide operations and node-specific stuff into two pages (how to
navigate?) The rest of the points are really for the cloud-specific page

> > add a collections API interface, similar to the core admin bits. creating collections,
adding nodes, all that stuff.

> > querying should be do-able on a collection basis rather than after you've selected
a node on a particular machine

> > showing all the nodes on the system, even ones that don't host current shards would
be great

> > super, especially wonderful would be a way to select a node and add a replica right
there for a particular shard, with drop-down lists showing available collections, available
shards and even suggesting a name for it and all that kind of thing.

> > ditto with creating new collections. A drop-down listing the available configs would
be very cool

> > some UI way to upload a config set. How would we keep security issues around allowing
file uploads from being a problem?