lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandre Rafalovitch <arafa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr Admin UI and SolrCloud
Date Wed, 14 May 2014 03:13:38 GMT
I think there was a discussion/JIRA on moving to AngularJS (or
ReactJS?). Maybe this should be a part of that discussion.

What is the process for discussion UI? Was this a heroic effort by
one/two individual or was there a subgroup of some sort?

Regards,
   Alex.
Current project: http://www.solr-start.com/ - Accelerating your Solr proficiency

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Erick Erickson
<erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
> The admin UI (and kudos to _everyone_ who made the new version) could
> use more "cloud awareness". There are cluster-wide operations and
> individual node operations, they're intermixed at this point. Plus, we
> make people switch between a UI and the command-line to accomplish
> what they need to.
>
> How can we restructure them? And should we?
>
> Straw-man proposal follows. NOTE: I have no real attachment to this
> layout, just looking to generate a discussion!
>
>> split the cluster-wide operations and node-specific stuff into two pages (how to
navigate?) The rest of the points are really for the cloud-specific page

>> add a collections API interface, similar to the core admin bits. creating collections,
adding nodes, all that stuff.

>> querying should be do-able on a collection basis rather than after you've selected
a node on a particular machine

>> showing all the nodes on the system, even ones that don't host current shards would
be great

>> super, especially wonderful would be a way to select a node and add a replica right
there for a particular shard, with drop-down lists showing available collections, available
shards and even suggesting a name for it and all that kind of thing.

>> ditto with creating new collections. A drop-down listing the available configs would
be very cool

>> some UI way to upload a config set. How would we keep security issues around allowing
file uploads from being a problem?