lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Solr Admin UI and SolrCloud
Date Mon, 12 May 2014 16:58:21 GMT
The admin UI (and kudos to _everyone_ who made the new version) could
use more "cloud awareness". There are cluster-wide operations and
individual node operations, they're intermixed at this point. Plus, we
make people switch between a UI and the command-line to accomplish
what they need to.

How can we restructure them? And should we?

Straw-man proposal follows. NOTE: I have no real attachment to this
layout, just looking to generate a discussion!

> split the cluster-wide operations and node-specific stuff into two pages (how to navigate?)
The rest of the points are really for the cloud-specific page

> add a collections API interface, similar to the core admin bits. creating collections,
adding nodes, all that stuff.

> querying should be do-able on a collection basis rather than after you've selected a
node on a particular machine

> showing all the nodes on the system, even ones that don't host current shards would be
great

> super, especially wonderful would be a way to select a node and add a replica right there
for a particular shard, with drop-down lists showing available collections, available shards
and even suggesting a name for it and all that kind of thing.

> ditto with creating new collections. A drop-down listing the available configs would
be very cool

> some UI way to upload a config set. How would we keep security issues around allowing
file uploads from being a problem?

Thoughts?