lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr Admin UI and SolrCloud
Date Fri, 16 May 2014 01:31:23 GMT
Well, Stefan's re-write qualifies as a heroic effort. I'm sure he'd
like collaborators though, it's just that I have zero skills in this
area....

I created an umbrella JIRA to track any work on this, probably best to
keep the discussion going there. See:

Best,
Erick

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch
<arafalov@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think there was a discussion/JIRA on moving to AngularJS (or
> ReactJS?). Maybe this should be a part of that discussion.
>
> What is the process for discussion UI? Was this a heroic effort by
> one/two individual or was there a subgroup of some sort?
>
> Regards,
>    Alex.
> Personal website: http://www.outerthoughts.com/
> Current project: http://www.solr-start.com/ - Accelerating your Solr proficiency
>

> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Erick Erickson
> <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The admin UI (and kudos to _everyone_ who made the new version) could
>> use more "cloud awareness". There are cluster-wide operations and
>> individual node operations, they're intermixed at this point. Plus, we
>> make people switch between a UI and the command-line to accomplish
>> what they need to.
>>
>> How can we restructure them? And should we?
>>
>> Straw-man proposal follows. NOTE: I have no real attachment to this
>> layout, just looking to generate a discussion!
>>
>>> split the cluster-wide operations and node-specific stuff into two pages (how
to navigate?) The rest of the points are really for the cloud-specific page

>>> add a collections API interface, similar to the core admin bits. creating collections,
adding nodes, all that stuff.

>>> querying should be do-able on a collection basis rather than after you've selected
a node on a particular machine

>>> showing all the nodes on the system, even ones that don't host current shards
would be great

>>> super, especially wonderful would be a way to select a node and add a replica
right there for a particular shard, with drop-down lists showing available collections, available
shards and even suggesting a name for it and all that kind of thing.

>>> ditto with creating new collections. A drop-down listing the available configs
would be very cool

>>> some UI way to upload a config set. How would we keep security issues around
allowing file uploads from being a problem?