lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Shawn Heisey" <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Lucene/Solr 5?
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 16:35:04 GMT
> The 4.x branch seems to be doing well enough, both from a stability
> perspective and momentum with new features.

I agree with this assessment. It is currently very easy to backport almost
all new functionality from trunk (5x) to the 4x branch. Although there are
some features unique to trunk, I don't think the list is extensive yet.

I thought that the switch to Java 7 in trunk would force a relatively
short time line to 5.0, but the Java 7 requirement itself was backported
to 4x, so that influence is no longer there.

> I'll offer a prediction: 5.0 will happen when the Lucene guys at
> Elasticsearch come up with some great new ideas for how to leapfrog Solr!
> (And then we watch how the Heliosearch guys respond to that!)

I still think that a serious push for 5.0 will not begin until backporting
code changes from trunk to 4x requires signing manual intervention