lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "david.w.smiley@gmail.com" <david.w.smi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trappy behavior with default search field
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 18:18:38 GMT
In my view, solrconfig.xml shouldn’t refer to any field by name out of the
box, except for the /browse handler, and perhaps pre-filling the query form
in the admin GUI.  That’s it.

A couple years ago at about the time I became a committer, I finally did
something about a feature I am very opinionated about something I hate (and
there are few things I hate; ‘qt’ is another) — specifying the default
search field and default operator in the schema. So thankfully it’s
commented out and deprecated now. I ideally would have have gone farther
such that the default solrconfig.xml doesn’t set “df” in /select.  Hoss
added that because, if I recall, some tests broke, amongst other possible
reasons.  In my view, the only reason to keep “df” pre-configured in
/select is for back-wards compatibility expectations with sample queries on
tutorials/websites, but I’d like to see it done for 5x at least.

Furthermore, in my view, “df” (and q.op) should only be “seen” as a
local-param, with the further modification that all top-level parameters
can become virtually local-params to the ‘q’ param.  I should be able to
write a “fq”, “facet.query”, or one of the other myriad of queries using
standard default Lucene syntax without a default field and with the
operator being assumed OR unless I locally change it in local-params.
 Doing otherwise is an ambiguous query if looking at the query by itself.

~ David