lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] The next Lucene/Solr release, aka 5.0 is the new 4.11
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2014 19:20:58 GMT
On 9/18/2014 11:37 AM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> We are not going to release the state of the branching today, it was just a step inbetween.
After Robert's hard work we will have a large number of changes in 5.0, especially those breaking
backwards compatibility (like the final move to Java 7 NIO.2). We are just inbetween at the
moment. Stuff that’s unfinished (like we removed WAR file in trunk, but in contrast have
no real Lucene Server with main() method, servlet free is not releaseable) were left out.

It seems backwards to me as well, so I echo Steve's sentiment.  The
other path seems a lot more likely to have a clean result.  That said, I
know that you and Robert are very intelligent people, and that I can
only aspire to your understanding of our code in particular and code
manipulation in general.

So we're in an intermediate state, and Robert has a large amount of
backporting to do.  When that's done, do you both have a *very* high
degree of confidence that we're going to end up with branch_5x that's
nearly equivalent to trunk, with a releasable Solr, minus those few
things that are not ready?  Can we avoid putting the entire branch under
a microscope to be sure everything's reasonably clean?

Thanks,
Shawn