lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Move trunk to Java 8
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2014 19:21:35 GMT
On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Tommaso Teofili
<tommaso.teofili@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Chris Hostetter
>> <hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > : faster.  And there are a ton of features that would make our lives as
>> > : developers easier (and that can improve the quality of Lucene 5 when
>> > : it is eventually released).
>> >
>> > Examples please?
>> >

>> The ability to specify default methods on interfaces.
>

> which I, by the way, find awful ... however +1

I thought it was awful myself too, but sometimes its appropriate. For
example, I am currently working on a patch to allow you to gain
insight into what is going on with lucene datastructures, how much
memory are they using, etc.

With java8, i could add a default method to interface Accountable
"getChildResources" that returns the empty list, along with some
static sugar methods to e.g. ease implementations and so on. This
would be a relatively small patch, wouldn't introduce useless noise
anywhere, would be easy for people to use, and it wouldnt break
backwards compatibility.

With java7, there are less choices. I can introduce a new method to
the interface (breaking it, and requiring lots of
Collections.emptyList impls everywhere), and a separate Accountables
with just static methods, thats one option. Alternatively, i can
introduce a new (sub)interface, but that makes the API more complex
and much more difficult to use, e.g. instanceof casts and so on, and
you still need a separate class for the other stuff.

I only use this example because it is something I am currently working
on and it frustrates me.