lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] The next Lucene/Solr release, aka 5.0 is the new 4.11
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2014 19:25:09 GMT
On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Shawn Heisey <solr@elyograg.org> wrote:

> It seems backwards to me as well, so I echo Steve's sentiment.  The
> other path seems a lot more likely to have a clean result.  That said, I
> know that you and Robert are very intelligent people, and that I can
> only aspire to your understanding of our code in particular and code
> manipulation in general.
>
> So we're in an intermediate state, and Robert has a large amount of
> backporting to do.  When that's done, do you both have a *very* high
> degree of confidence that we're going to end up with branch_5x that's
> nearly equivalent to trunk, with a releasable Solr, minus those few
> things that are not ready?  Can we avoid putting the entire branch under
> a microscope to be sure everything's reasonably clean?

Why is it backwards? because you don't like my choice of tools or methods?

Maybe i use a different IDE you dont like as well, but that doesnt matter.
If you dont trust what i did, just review the differences yourself.

I highly recommend "diff -urN -x .svn -x .caches"

P.S. A big part of the reason i did this was your voiced unhappiness
about the .war stuff not being ready etc. Its mechanical but kind of a
pain, still safe.