lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: An experience and some thoughts about solr/example -> solr/server
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2014 17:50:10 GMT
On 11/2/2014 5:57 PM, Erick Erickson wrote:
> I'm a little discomfited by having to learn new stuff, but that's "a personal
> problem" ;).
>
> I do think we have to be mindful of people who want something like what Shawn
> was doing, I do this all the time as well. And of new people who haven't a clue.
> Hmmm, actually new folks might have an easier time of it since they don't
> have any expectations ;).
>
> bq: "...'run example' target that could also fire off a create for collection1."
>
> Exactly, with a note (perhaps in the help for this command) about where the
> config files are located that are used. Perhaps with a 'clean' option that
> blows away the current data directory and (if Zookeeper becomes the one
> source of truth) does an upconfig first.

Thanks for all the input on this thread, and for the hard work trying to
make everything easier for a beginner.

I actually do really like the fact that we now start with no cores, it
was just a bit of a shock.  It sounds like it's a relatively
straightforward thing to fire off a CoreAdmin 'curl' command after
startup that will populate an example core, and the conf directory is
probably easy to locate in the download too. I just ask that this
information be added to the immediately available docs (README.txt and
similar).  I did not check the tutorial ... if it's not already there,
it probably should be.

Thanks,
Shawn