lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: An experience and some thoughts about solr/example -> solr/server
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2014 20:28:07 GMT

On Nov 3, 2014, at 12:50 PM, Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:

> On 11/2/2014 5:57 PM, Erick Erickson wrote:
>> I'm a little discomfited by having to learn new stuff, but that's "a personal
>> problem" ;).
>>
>> I do think we have to be mindful of people who want something like what Shawn
>> was doing, I do this all the time as well. And of new people who haven't a clue.
>> Hmmm, actually new folks might have an easier time of it since they don't
>> have any expectations ;).
>>
>> bq: "...'run example' target that could also fire off a create for collection1."
>>
>> Exactly, with a note (perhaps in the help for this command) about where the
>> config files are located that are used. Perhaps with a 'clean' option that
>> blows away the current data directory and (if Zookeeper becomes the one
>> source of truth) does an upconfig first.
>
> Thanks for all the input on this thread, and for the hard work trying to
> make everything easier for a beginner.
>
> I actually do really like the fact that we now start with no cores, it
> was just a bit of a shock.  It sounds like it's a relatively
> straightforward thing to fire off a CoreAdmin 'curl' command after
> startup that will populate an example core, and the conf directory is
> probably easy to locate in the download too. I just ask that this
> information be added to the immediately available docs (README.txt and
> similar).  I did not check the tutorial ... if it's not already there,
> it probably should be.

Or on trunk (and hopefully back ported if we do another 4.10.x release):

$ bin/solr create_core -help

Usage: solr create_core [-n name] [-c configset]

  -n <name>       Name of core to create

  -c <configset>  Name of configuration directory to use, valid options are:
      basic_configs: Minimal Solr configuration
      data_driven_schema_configs: Managed schema with field-guessing support enabled
      sample_techproducts_configs: Example configuration with many optional features enabled
         demonstrate the full power of Solr
      If not specified, default is: data_driven_schema_configs