lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Shawn Heisey (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (SOLR-4586) Increase default maxBooleanClauses
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2014 04:23:34 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4586?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=14197467#comment-14197467
] 

Shawn Heisey commented on SOLR-4586:
------------------------------------

bq. yeah, this is the known behavior - the first core loaded sets this setting and any subsequent
core loads ignore any new setting. So, yes, you need the bounce to change it.

The way I read the code, it shouldn't behave in exactly that way.  For every core that gets
loaded, it will read the maxBooleanClauses value out of the config and set the global limitation,
overwriting any value set by any previously parsed configs.  If the setting is missing from
the config during SolrCore initialization, Solr asks BooleanQuery what the current setting
is and uses that.  This effectively means that the last initialized config (not the first)
will set the value for all cores.  From what I've seen in the logs during Solr startup, the
exact core load order may not be completely predictable.

Getting rid of the limit entirely as Yonik did for Heliosearch seems like the best option
to me.  There are a lot of people that legitimately need to create queries with a very large
number of boolean clauses.  The users who ask for help with this are probably the tip of the
iceberg.  I think that many users who exceed maxBooleanClauses are able to figure out on their
own how to fix the problem.

The advice to use the terms qparser is reasonable, but I see that as a performance option
... Solr should honor any valid query syntax, even if the performance sucks.

> Increase default maxBooleanClauses
> ----------------------------------
>
>                 Key: SOLR-4586
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4586
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>    Affects Versions: 4.2
>         Environment: 4.3-SNAPSHOT 1456767M - ncindex - 2013-03-15 13:11:50
>            Reporter: Shawn Heisey
>         Attachments: SOLR-4586.patch, SOLR-4586.patch, SOLR-4586.patch, SOLR-4586.patch,
SOLR-4586.patch, SOLR-4586_verify_maxClauses.patch
>
>
> In the #solr IRC channel, I mentioned the maxBooleanClauses limitation to someone asking
a question about queries.  Mark Miller told me that maxBooleanClauses no longer applies, that
the limitation was removed from Lucene sometime in the 3.x series.  The config still shows
up in the example even in the just-released 4.2.
> Checking through the source code, I found that the config option is parsed and the value
stored in objects, but does not actually seem to be used by anything.  I removed every trace
of it that I could find, and all tests still pass.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message