lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: FSDirectory and creating directory
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2015 19:26:41 GMT

> On Feb 4, 2015, at 10:12, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> I am fine with any of your comments. We can move this issue to later releases, I just
want that FSDirectory and its subclasses to document that they create the directory on its
ctor if it does not yet exist. Please understand that I want to figure out if this could cause
"human" issues, because I know people are always complaining about this shit. And I also wanted
to be sure this causes no problems with read-only filesystems. People will for sure complain
if they just want to open an indexreader and suddenly the FSDirectory complains about "I cannot
write" instead of "Directory does not exist". I understand the reason behind this change:
we want the "real" (canonical path), so NativeFSLockingFactory's stupid

Maybe I'm missing some context here but if the file system is read-only, why is the locking
stuff even getting involved ?

Andi..

> internal Set<Path> works correctly. No worry, I don’t want to change that for
5.0 - only document it! But we can think in later Lucene releases to go back to not creating
the directory on front under read-only conditions (opening an IndexReader).

> Should I add those Javadocs, costs me not much, I just wanted to check this out before?
 In fact I would move the comment you added to the Javadocs of ctor and open() with an additional
sentence.