lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Enforce "reasonable" field names in Solr?
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2015 15:30:21 GMT
I was commenting on SOLR-6997 about allowing hyphens in field names
and started to wonder about whether we should try to push people to
"good" names. The ref guide states:

"Field names should consist of alphanumeric or underscore characters
only and not start with a digit"

and SOLR-6997 is a good example of why. I am _not_ at all interested
in supporting the hyphen BTW.

I realize we can't suddenly start enforcing this rule b/c it would
break existing installations. What do people think about defaulting to
throwing an error? Or posting a fat warning with a "deprecation"
message?

I'm envisioning a "strict_field_name" tag or some such that defaults
to true, but could be set to false for back compat and just checking
when parsing a schema.

I'm not at all sure how that plays with the managed schema stuff though.

Erick