lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Should we EOL support for 32 bit systems?
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2015 21:37:25 GMT
Another reason to keep 32bit support is that people who already have installed Java JRE from
their browser tend to have the 32bit version (even if on 64bit OS). So they will be able to
test-run Solr without re-installing Java.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 25. aug. 2015 kl. 18.47 skrev Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com>:
>
> Fair enough, just wanted to be sure we weren't making extra work for ourselves.
> Well, actually extra work for you since you seem to be the one who interacts
> with the compiler folks the most ;).
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> From a Java point of view, there is no real difference to not support 32 bit versions.
The bug with JDK 9 are just bugs that could also have happened with 64 bit versions. It is
just easier to trigger this bug with 32 bits, but I am almost sure the underlying bug also
affect 64 bits.

>> So why should we no longer support all platforms Java supports? Bitness does not
matter for our code? Should we then also no longer support Sparc, PowerPC, or ARM platform?
>> -1 to add arbitrary restrictions on our runtime environment. If we want this, we
should disallow all platforms we don't test on and of course also al processor variants we
don't test on! :-)