lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Rowe <sar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: RC0 Release of apache-solr-ref-guide-5.3.pdf
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2015 13:51:54 GMT
OK, thanks Cassandra, I missed the point about splitting images across pages being unavoidable.
 Gotta love product upgrades that make things worse...

Steve

> On Aug 20, 2015, at 8:59 AM, Cassandra Targett <casstargett@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Steve, Mikhail, thanks for your reviews. I've addressed your feedback separately below:
>
> Steve,
>
> Sorry if I wasn't clear about the images. There were two problems with images in the
PDF:

> * Many images were not appearing at all.
> * Some images that did appear overlapped the surrounding text instead of the text flowing
around the image.

> I solved the first problem by "re-attaching" images to each page that had a problem,
specifically by deleting the image and re-inserting it into the page.

> For the second problem, I solved that by putting in a CSS rule to split images across
pages if necessary. In our conversation on IRC, I shared two screenshots - one with the image
overlapping the text, and another with the image split - and you indicated the splitting was
preferable to the text overlapping. Splitting the image was the only solution I was able to
find to this problem.

> Considering this, I think the only image problem that still exists is the one that is
too large to fit the page.

> Mikhail,
>
> The issue you noticed with the links in the PDF is known and there is, sadly, no workaround
(see the 2nd item on the list of "PDF Format Fixes" on the TODO list: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Internal+-+TODO+List).
The only solution is to not have inter-page links, but that's not really a solution at all.

> Thanks again -
> Cassandra
>

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 1:18 AM, Mikhail Khludnev <mkhludnev@griddynamics.com>
wrote:
> I dropped both overcomplicated things. Hope it helps.
>
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Mikhail Khludnev <mkhludnev@griddynamics.com>
wrote:
> Cassandra,
> page 266  Join Query Parser/ Scoring has broken JIRA Macros, I'm going to replace it
to url.
> page 198 has links but they are not local (don't refer to page), but url aka Nested Child
Documents for searching with Block Join Query Parsers. Here I'm not sure how to do that.