lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Kr├╝ger <krue...@lesspain.de>
Subject Possible to avoid hangs in org.apache.solr.handler.admin.SystemInfoHandler
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2015 16:57:15 GMT
Hi,

I am tracking down a problem with huge startup delays of a solr instance
and tracked it down to this code in SystemInfoHandler:

  private void init() {
    try {
      InetAddress addr = InetAddress.getLocalHost();
      hostname = addr.getCanonicalHostName();
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is where it hangs
    } catch (UnknownHostException e) {
      //default to null
    }
  }

The setup I have gives me no control over the local network configuration
as solr is delivered as part of a larger software that users install on
their machines and that has worked really well and it is technically fit
for this purpose just as other no-sql stores or rdbmss. However, when our
software users have problems like a reverse lookup not working because they
work in a VPN environment (which in no other way affects the correct
operation of solr) they currently have to wait a minute for solr startup
(otherwise about a second) because two timeouts of these lookups happen,
one when setting up the container, another for the core and that only to
have the "host" info contain a name that was reverse-looked up.

Would it be acceptable to submit a patch that allows this to be disabled
overidden by a system property be acceptable? I.e. suppress the lookup and
just use what can be retrieved about the host without a lookup (e.g. the ip
address).

Best regards,

Robert