lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: 5.4.2 Bug Fix Branch?
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2016 20:16:48 GMT
On 2/8/2016 12:18 PM, Nicholas Knize wrote:
> I opened an issue (LUCENE-7018) to back port a bug fix to 5.4 but I
> don't see a bug fix branch? If I create one off the git 5.4.1 release
> tag what's the accepted naming convention (if it exists)?
> bugfix/lucene-solr/5.4.2 or something similar?

In svn, this would have been branches/lucene_solr_5_4.  Looks like git
now has it here (this is from the "git ls-remote" output):

refs/tags/history/branches/lucene-solr/lucene_solr_5_4

Since this has "tags" in the name, it's probably a bad idea to edit that
branch directly.  I'm not sure what you would actually want to call the
new branch.

Do we think a 5.4.2 release is likely? I would think that this is NOT
likely, because I think it would require massive amounts of backporting
to make it work right with git.  As I understand it, we are backporting
all the git-related work to branch_5x for a 5.5 release and pushing
towards a 6.0 release, with these two efforts proceeding more or less
simultaneously.  If my understanding is wrong, someone please correct me.

Thanks,
Shawn