lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Nicholas Knize <nkn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 5.4.2 Bug Fix Branch?
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2016 20:41:58 GMT
> I would think that this is NOT likely, because I think it would require
massive amounts of backporting to make it work right with git.

If there will not be a 5.4.2 release then my new, related, questions: how
will bug fix branches work for 5.5? I assume 1. create 'branch_5_5' from
'branch_5_x' and 2. create a releases tag that "points" to the "first
commit" of branch_5_5? If that's the case wouldn't a 5.4.2 bug fix branch
still be doable? I'm not a git expert, but it seems like its just a unique
situation where a branch_5_4 is created from the releases/lucene-solr/5.4.1
tag. Aside from, maybe, bad git practice what are the dangers (for this one
case) from branching from the tag instead of the 5_x branch?