lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Anshum Gupta <ans...@anshumgupta.net>
Subject Re: Removing branch_5x shortly
Date Sat, 20 Feb 2016 20:58:43 GMT
Here's a similar question that came up during the 5.0 release.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-5944?focusedCommentId=14138919&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14138919

The reply to this was convincing back then as 5.0 was released for
different reasons, and in different circumstances. It certainly wasn't the
norm.

Unless I'm missing something here, I don't see a reason to not keep 5x and
even potentially release 5.6 at some point as long as some one has a reason
and the time to work on a 5.6 release.

Also, as Uwe said, it might be wasted effort committing to the 5x branch
but that wouldn't hurt us.