lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Removing branch_5x shortly
Date Sat, 20 Feb 2016 20:33:00 GMT
I was simply going by what we did when we released 5.0, which was to
remove the 4.x branch (or rename it to 4.10.x maybe, but the net
effect is the same).  I thought this was the practice for a major
release.

But it sounds like removing this branch in git is ... not a good idea
technically.

And even if it were technically possible (having everyone run "git
remote prune origin"), clearly everyone here disagrees we should do
so.

So I'll leave it be.

Thanks for the git explanation Dawid!  It sounds like one must assume
git's gc is immediate, i.e. upon removing the branch, any commits not
reachable by any other "roots" would be deleted, even if you
"remembered" their specific commit hashes yourself.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com