lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Removing branch_5x shortly
Date Sat, 20 Feb 2016 21:19:41 GMT
> It sounds like one must assume git's gc is immediate, i.e. upon removing the branch, any
commits not reachable by any other "roots" would be deleted, even if you "remembered" their
specific commit hashes yourself.

No, it isn't immediate. git tries hard to preserve your work in case
you screw up. If you do want to "System.gc()" you need to do this as a
two-step process in git -- expunge the reflog and then rewrite
commits. It is *very* unusual that you'd really want to do it (much
like trying to "brute-force" a GC in Java).

Dawid