lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Removing branch_5x shortly
Date Sat, 20 Feb 2016 18:58:21 GMT
> Can't we tag it and then delete the branch?

Any reference. So yes, sure you can. But this doesn't really address
the second part of my e-mail -- people would still have to issue:

git remote prune origin

and I don't want to fight Uwe over supposedly magical git commands :)

> if infra let's us put in any git hooks and protect branches from there.

Yes, this would be another option (but it requires admin-side tweaks).

> I'm not convinced we need a new strategy just because we are on git though.
> We generally don't decide we won't do a release, someone volunteers to put
> one together when something prompts it. I don't remember protecting branches
> in SVN and so I wonder if we need to now?

Exactly. We really don't need to do anything other than just agree to
not commit there... that's part of the reason I wanted more "semantic"
names for branches -- they're kind of hard to eradicate once created
in public.

Anyway, as for branch_5x -- no need to protect anything, really. If
somebody DOES commit something (by accident or otherwise) we can
always revert those commits (or even force the reference to what it
was before the mistake, effectively undoing the change).

D.