lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jack Krupansky <jack.krupan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Naming branches so that life is easier
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2016 13:59:37 GMT
I don't recall any discussion of the status of existing svn non-release
branches (most of which were named LUCENE-<Jira#>)... was it decided to
just abandon them or are they hidden somewhere now in git/github?

And is the new policy to encourage such branches in git/github or that
people should keep them in private forks?

-- Jack Krupansky

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 1:32 AM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that all remote branches should be JIRA related. I.e. I don't see
> myself pushing a remote branch like shaie/something. Since we do all
> development through JIRA, then if someone experiments with something and
> wants to push it to the Git repo, I think that should be done within the
> context of a JIRA issue.
>
> Naming these branches *jira/lucene-XXXX* or *jira/solr-XXXX* (I don't
> mind if we use hyphen or underscore) or dropping the *jira/* prefix --
> I'm fine w/ both. I personally don't think that we need the JIRA prefix,
> since it's pretty obvious to tell by the name of the branch, but I can go
> either way.
>
> Shai
>
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 12:01 AM david.w.smiley@gmail.com <
> david.w.smiley@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Establishing conventions and adhering to them would be good.
>>
>> Some observations I have with your example:  you suggested a hypothetical
>> branch named "dweiss/jira3826".  IMO that branch name isn't a great name
>> because it is ambiguous with respect to it being for Lucene or Solr.  Most
>> of our branches in the past have been in the format for the JIRA issue;
>> sometimes lowercased or sometimes with an underscore.  It'd be nice to
>> standardize that.  I propose the form "solr_3626" but I care little and
>> only would like to see something adhered to.  Incorporating a branch for a
>> JIRA issue with someone's user id is I think questionable, but I have no
>> strong opinion.  I think we should generally do it or not do it.
>>
>> ~ David
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 5:00 AM Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey folks. Just noticed new branches are being pushed to the Apache
>>> repository. Having digested SVN's branches I'd like to suggest a
>>> naming convention for branches so that they appear more palatable. For
>>> example:
>>>
>>> $ git branch -r
>>>   origin/HEAD -> origin/master
>>>   origin/apiv2
>>>   origin/branch_3x
>>>   origin/branch_4x
>>>   origin/branch_5x
>>>   origin/lucene-6835
>>>   origin/master
>>>   origin/master-solr-8621
>>>

>>> The labels (branches and tags) in git can be pseudo-hierarchical. It
>>> is therefore nice to see more "semantic" branches, like:
>>>
>>> origin/jira/solr8621
>>> origin/dweiss/fooBarExperiment