lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Vanlerberghe, Luc" <Luc.Vanlerber...@bvdinfo.com>
Subject Solr/Lucene 6.x: Multiple public Query classes not immutable (yet)
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2016 10:23:23 GMT
Hi,

While checking how to migrate my custom components from lucene/solr 5.1 to 6.x I stumbled
upon the fact that oal.search.MultiPhraseQuery is not immutable like most other implementations
(see e.g.: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6531)

Since it is part of the public API I would suggest splitting it in an immutable class and
a builder like was done for most other Queries *before* releasing an official 6.x version.

I did a quick scan through all derived classes of Query and I compiled the following list
(ignoring sources in test or contrib folders)
Some of them are already marked as experimental (but should perhaps receive the "official"
@lucene.experimental tag ?)
For some it's possibly not an issue since they should never end up in a filter cache (like
MoreLikeThisQuery ?), but then a comment specifying the exception to the rule should perhaps
be added.

I'll probably already have a go at the MultiPhraseQuery case shortly and create a JIRA issue
with a PR for it.

Luc Vanlerberghe

lucene/search:
- org.apache.lucene.search.MultiPhraseQuery

lucene/queries:
- org.apache.lucene.queries.CommonTermsQuery
- org.apache.lucene.queries.CustomScoreQuery (marked as @lucene.experimental)
- org.apache.lucene.queries.mlt.MoreLikeThisQuery

lucene/suggest:
- org.apache.lucene.search.suggest.document.ContextQuery (marked as @lucene.experimental)

lucene/facet:
- org.apache.lucene.facet.DrillDownQuery (marked as @lucene.experimental)

solr/core:
- org.apache.solr.search.ExtendedQueryBase
  Several derived classes, among which:
  - org.apache.solr.query.FilterQuery
  - org.apache.solr.query.SolrRangeQuery (marked as @lucene.experimental)
  - org.apache.solr.search.RankQuery (marked in comment as experimental, but not its derived
classes)
  - org.apache.solr.search.WrappedQuery
- org.apache.solr.search.join.GraphQuery (marked as @lucene.experimental)
- org.apache.solr.search.SolrConstantScoreQuery (marked in comment as experimental, but not
the derived FunctionRangeQuery)