lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 16:21:46 GMT
On 3/2/2016 4:19 AM, Alan Woodward wrote:
> Should we create a separate branch_6_0 branch for the feature-freeze?
>  I have stuff to push into master and that should eventually make it
> into 6.1, and it will be easy to forget to backport stuff if there's a
> week before I can do that…

+1

When I saw Nick's email about branch_6x being feature frozen, my first
thought was that we don't (and really can't) feature freeze the stable
branch -- isn't new feature development (for the next minor release in
the current major version) the entire purpose of branch_Nx?

A feature freeze on a specific minor version does make sense.  I've seen
a couple of people say that we have, but there are also a few messages
from people saying that they want to include new functionality in 6.0.
I expect that backporting almost anything from branch_6x to branch_6_0
will be relatively easy, so it may be a good idea to just create the new
branch.

Thanks,
Shawn