lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Remote file systems solrcloud
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2016 17:21:44 GMT
On 3/20/2016 3:47 PM, Christopher Luciano wrote:
> Hi I'd like to know if anyone has had much success with remote file systems or NAS type
storage backends for SolrCloud. Right now we are using local disk  in a Mesos cluster but
it would be great if we could use something more tolerant to failure. We have to perform some
hacks to pin instances to machines in our Mesos cluster.

> We have considered systems like Ceph. We've heard from some of our storage experts that
Lucene has certain issues with these types of parallel filesystems. Has anyone had experience
with this or something like glusterfs?

This question should have gone to the solr-user list, not the dev list.
I'll go ahead and answer it, but please take any further discussion (or
new topics about Solr) to that list.

Solr/Lucene has issues with pretty much all network filesystems.

There's a lot of data out there about NFS and Lucene.

Gluster may not provide all the locking mechanisms that Solr expects,
especially if you access it with NFS or SMB.  When my company tried to
use it for production storage (not Solr), we had a lot of stability
problems.  We have finally migrated all our back end storage off of
Gluster and are now happily using Isilon via NFS.  We are not using
Isilon for Solr.

I have only a little experience with Ceph, but even the Ceph developers
don't think CephFS is ready for production -- their effort is more
focused on the object store and the network block device capability than
the filesystem.

You may be able to get Solr working with a network filesystem by
changing its LockFactory configuration, but Solr will always perform
best with fast local storage, native OS filesystems, and a lot of memory
to cache the filesystem.

For my Solr servers, we have six local 1TB or 2TB drives in RAID10,
providing either 3TB or 6TB of local storage.  In terms of space, this
is overkill, but the RAID10 across six drives provides a lot of speed.

Thanks,
Shawn